How
the classroom set up can influence a students learning
Introduction
Many studies have been done in order to determine how the
classroom environment can influence a students learning. I will be discussing
the different ways a classroom environment can influence student learning.
Throughout my research I was able to conduct an interview with an elementary
school teacher of a second grade classroom. The interview opened my eyes to a
different way of a healthy classroom environment. The interview focused on how
the teacher expressed how her upbeat emotional state has actually increased
student learning. I also was able to analyze a research paper called “Teachers
Evaluation of Student-Centered Learning Environments”. The research paper
focused on classroom environment and student-centered learning which is being
implemented into schools all over the world. As my research continued I began to understand
that the classroom environment has a major impact on student learning. A
positive classroom environment is a prime element to providing students with the
best possible education and also allowing them to learn to the best of their
ability. Many educators are unaware of the impact the environment has on their
students. This leads me back to the main question, how does the way a classroom
is environment influence a students learning? I am writing this paper to prove
there is more to teaching then going over the curriculum. In order to become a
better educator, you need to have an understanding of why and how the
environment of the classroom influences student learning.
Literature
Review
One article that I decided to focus
on for this particular study was “Teachers Evaluation of Student-Centered Learning
Environments” written by Dr. Zuhal Cubukcu. This research paper focused on
student-centered learning and how it influenced students learning. Zuhal firmly
believes that “Learning is not only about knowledge making. Children need to be
active learners within the context of culture, community, and past experiences”.
This research shows that education is not what it was years ago, and many
theorists have shared their knowledge about child development which is now
being applied to the classroom.
“Since both students and teachers
participate in learning process, teachers are perceived to be a member of
teaching environment and students to be the persons whose individual learning
needs should be addressed. Thus, teachers by using more recent teaching methods
involve students in learning process more actively. This improves and expands
teachers' roles, which in time contributes to team spirit and the culture of
working together”. (Cubukcu 50)
In
order to be an effective teacher one must understand how students learn. As a
teacher it is important to understand how students learn to the best of their
ability and how the emotional and physical set up of the classroom can
influence their learning. Student-centered learning is a new way of setting up
the classroom to ensure that each student is excelling with their education. This
provides a unique environment for the students who are able to work with other
students in their class. With student-centered learning the students are able
to learn from one another, whether they are leading the group or getting extra
assistance, each student is expected to excel and help assist their classmates
with each activity provided by the teacher.
Zuhal’s
research paper focuses on how specifically placing the students into student-centered
groups will increase their education. The new way of educating is to allow
students to applying their knowledge to something in real life. Providing with
students with different activities will only increase their understanding of
the topic. Zuahl’s research paper talks about student-centered learning being
able to occur at anytime which is found to be a successful strategy in
furthering a students education.
“Student-centered learning environments evolved
as a result of changing beliefs and assumptions related to the role of
individual in learning. Student ownership for their goals and activities is
essential for a student-centered approach. Teachers, while determining on
educational models and approaches in their teaching-learning process, should ensure
that they allow students to learn on their own”. (cubukcu)
Student-centered
learning is another way to set up your classroom environment as an educator.
This technique allows students to be able to work together and learn from one
another while encouraging students to learn on their own. The lecturing of a
teacher is not the only option to teaching anymore and with student-centered
learning students are able to take what they have learned and apply it to
activities that further their education. As an educator it is important to
establish what kind of classroom environment you want to create. Allowing the
students to become independent is a successful classroom technique that allows
students to create their own environment.
Methods:
Throughout my
research I was able to conduct an interview with an elementary school teacher
in a second grade classroom. The interview took place in the teachers classroom
during the lunch break and took about 30 minutes. I chose to conduct an
interview because first I enjoy communicating with others and second I wanted
to get appropriate responses from someone who is already in the field and who
can relate to my research question because they are in the classroom on a daily
basis. It was a very relaxed interview and went very well. The teacher was
honest and open with me about her opinion which is more than I could have asked
for. The teacher and I sat in two separate chairs facing one another, I began
asking the questions and the teacher proceeded to answer them. I asked the
teacher to answer a few questions regarding her experience in the classroom as
well as what changes have been made to the reading program for her school. I
was interested to see how a teacher who has been with the school for four years
feels about the importance of classroom environment. I also was interested in
seeing how the teacher kept the classroom environment and if she felt there was
anything else she could do to improve her students education. The interview
opened my eyes to many things that never occurred to me before. Because I am
studying to be a teacher I went into this interview not only looking for
answered but also looking for advice, I am pleased to say that this interview
helped me with both.
No comments:
Post a Comment