How
the classroom set up can influence a students learning
Introduction
Many studies have been done in order to determine how the
classroom set up can influence a students learning. I will be discussing the different
ways a classroom can be set up that have an influence on student learning.
Throughout my research I was able to conduct an interview with an elementary
school teacher of a second grade classroom. The interview opened my eyes to a
different way of a healthy classroom environment. The interview took a more
philosophical turn when the teacher expressed how her upbeat emotional state
has actually increased student learning, along with the way her classroom was
set up. I also was able to analyze a research paper called “Teachers Evaluation
of Student-Centered Learning Environments”. The research paper focused on
classroom set up and student-centered learning which is being implemented into
schools all over the world. As my
research continued I began to understand that it is not just the physical way a
classroom is set up that influences student learning but it is also the
emotional set up of a classroom that has an impact on student learning. These
two factors are the main elements to providing students with the best possible
environment to work in and having students learn to the best of their ability.
Many educators are unaware of the impact that the physical and emotional
environment has on their students. This leads me back to the main question, how
does the way a classroom is set up influence a students learning? I am writing
this paper to prove there is more to teaching then going over the curriculum. In
order to become a better educator, you need to have an understanding of why and
how the physical and emotional environment of the classroom influences student
learning.
Literature
Review
One article that I decided to focus
on for this particular study was “Teachers Evaluation of Student-Centered
Learning Environments” written by Dr. Zuhal Cubukcu. This research paper
focused on student-centered learning and how it influenced students learning.
Zuhal firmly believes that “Learning is not only about knowledge making.
Children need to be active learners within the context of culture, community,
and past experiences”. This research shows that education is not what it was
years ago, and many theorists have shared their knowledge about child development
which is now being applied to the classroom.
“Since both students and teachers
participate in learning process, teachers are perceived to be a member of
teaching environment and students to be the persons whose individual learning
needs should be addressed. Thus, teachers by using more recent teaching methods
involve students in learning process more actively. This improves and expands
teachers' roles, which in time contributes to team spirit and the culture of
working together”. (Cubukcu 50)
Methods:
Throughout my
research I was able to conduct an interview with an elementary school teacher in
a second grade classroom. I asked the teacher to answer a few questions
regarding her experience in the classroom as well as with changes that have
been made to the reading program for her school. I was interested to see how a
teacher who has been with the school for four years adjusts to changes make to
the way her classroom should be set up.
No comments:
Post a Comment